Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Coat Sew Along- The Lining

This week my focus was on my coat lining and getting my interlining sewn in.
The lining by itself was pretty easy. I just followed the pattern pieces.
Sewing the interlining in was a little tricky. I had to trim most of my pieces to fit within the lining. Then I just sewed them to each piece, while making sure my seam was poking through (to eliminate bulk.)
It got a little tricky with all the bulk and fabric, and the Thinsulate competing with the lining seams caused my fabric to pucker a little bit.
This is what it looks like, front and back, all sewn together.
In retrospect, I would have sewn my interlining to each piece of lining THEN sewed the lining together, while still leaving some room for seams without the bulk. It would have eliminated a lot of tricky and sloppy looking seams. Since this will all be inside the coat, I don’t care quite that much.
Next week I put it all together! 

Monday, February 10, 2014

Coat Sew Along- The interlining

Ah interlining! A thing I knew nothing about until I researched coat making and started this process. I found the Thinsulate interlining I chose to use for this project was super easy to work with. It cut out easily, it sewed easily, it was overall fantastic. Looking at it while I cut it out I thought “Maybe I should double layer this?” I’m glad I didn’t, because once I sewed it into my lining (A post coming next week) it was super warm and a little bulkier than expected (but not too bulky.)
For my interlining and lining, I used pattern B from my pattern, because it seemed a little unnecessary to do all those pleats on all layers. It will still helped hold the shape of the coat without too much bulk and weight. Bulk is apparently the word of the day.
I ordered 3 yards of Thinsulate interlining and only used about 1.5. If I wanted to, I could make a whole other coat (I do not want to.)
Again, I found it for a great price over at Vouge Fabrics.
Next week is a bit of a doozy. Cutting and sewing the lining, then sewing interlining into the lining was a bit of work. See you then!

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Coat Sew Along- The wool

Oof. This was a lot more tedious than I expected. Between cutting it out and sewing all the details, it took me about 1 hour each day for about 10 days. Cutting it all out took forever. Pleating and tacking took sooooo long. Here are some progress pics
So much fabric
It was a little bit long at first…
So, the only thing left to do is attach the collar (which is that odd bunch of fabric sitting on the top), iron it, remove the tacks and buttons/button holes which I won’t be doing until after the lining and interlining is all in.
Woof. This was probably the hardest part though and it should be all smooth sailing and take relatively little time from this point on.