Thursday, March 13, 2014

Kitchen Renovation- Days 7, 8, and 9

A lot happened with the kitchen this past week
The tile went in and got grouted. The drywall went up on the ceiling and got mudded. New appliances were installed. Things were put into cabinets. Bake rack was bought up and stuff was put on it. It’s finally starting to feel like a real kitchen again. We were even able to cook for the first time in about 2 weeks (Sorry to burst your bubble, but this project is not happening in consecutive days in a row. Aaron works full time, I work part time and I’m in school full time. We’ve had some evenings off in between renovation madness.)
Here are some pictures of our beautiful progress!
image
New appliances!
image
Bake rack for some needed storage.
image
Ceiling looks bright again! Need to touch up my paint job, but that’ll be fairly easy.
image
Aaron hard at work grouting tile!
image
image
New back splash!
image
Our first meal in the new kitchen! Salmon, noodles, and veggies. Yum!
A few issues arouse this week. 1. The old cabinet doors no longer work. The only kind of hinges that will work with them are the ugly ones that were originally on them. 
image
They kinda look like this. Since we want a more updated look, we’re paying our handyman friend to make up all new doors, which is going to cost more than we budgeted and it’s going to take another week or so.
image
But we can use these pretty hinges instead :)
2. The floor was back-ordered and won’t get here until next week. It’s really pretty and I can’t wait to show it off. 
So after all that progress, we’re kind of at a standstill for a while. I’m just glad we’re able to use the kitchen again.
We still have little things that need done too. Installing new lighting fixtures, getting baseboards cut and in place after the floor is done, and touching up all the paint. They won’t take much time, but they really help in making the space feel done. 
Until next time!
image

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Kitchen Renovation- Days 4, 5, and 6

Day 4 was all about priming the cabinets and drywall mudding the backsplash for tile prep
image
image
image
The ugly fridge and oven are also no more!
Day 5 and 6 I was off and Aaron went to work, so I got the cabinets and the walls painted! Talk about productivity!
image
The dining room got taken over by the doors
image
I love the grey/blue color we got for the walls!
image
As you can see, the ceiling still looks awful. We decided to re-drywall it because we did not feel like scraping wallpaper glue while upside down. Yes, there was wallpaper on the ceiling too. It was a plain, creme colored wallpaper, but it still needed to come down.
image
Here’s a sneak peek at the counter top and the hardware we picked :)

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Kitchen Renovation- Days 2 and 3

You want to know the easiest way to remove wallpaper glue? Trick question, there isn’t one. The only way to remove wallpaper glue is warm water, fabric softner, a scraper, too many hours, elbow grease, and tears. So that was day two of our kitchen demo. Wallpaper glue and sadness.
image
Glueless wall, post primer.
Day 3 went much better! I had to go to work, but Aaron had the day off.
 image
He and a handyman friend of ours removed the ugly laminate counter and installed this great butcher block we got from IKEA (hiding under the paper.) It was in the “As Is” section for a great price and it was the right size! It just needed a hole for the sink cut out.
They also knocked out all the tile backsplash and put up new drywall so we could add a new backsplash.
When I got home we primed over the walls that we so lovingly scraped and we removed the cabinet doors and sanded the cabinets down . Yay for great progress!

Monday, March 3, 2014

Kitchen Remodel - Day 1

Well I had the most romantic Valentine’s day possible. My boyfriend recently came into acquisition of a house and it needs a lot of work. So we spent the most romantic day of the year in yucky clothes, demoing a kitchen. We even had a candle lit Pizza dinner (without the candles.)
image
image
image
image
This was what it looked like before. As you can see, the lovely, peeling wallpaper from the 1970’s really needed to go and the cracking laminate floors are just an added bonus.
This is what it looked like at the end of the day. 3 layers of wallpaper glue. 3 LAYERS PEOPLE! We were able to pull down 2 layers of it in giant strips, but this last one is going to need scraped. 
Seriously though, we had a really fun day and it was much better than being all mushy gushy at some fancy restaurant. I voluntarily spent my Valentine’s Day this way and I’m glad I did. We have a lot of work ahead of us but I’m excited to make this a really nice space. The goal at the end of this reno is to have a nice kitchen on a budget, which means doing most of the work ourselves, and not go crazy in the process. Also, this is the biggest project in the whole house to tackle, so that’s why we’re starting it first.
My coat is basically done, I just need to add the buttons/ button holes! I will have a post about it soon, I promise. This kitchen just kind of took over a little :)