Monday, April 28, 2014

Restoration Hardware Inspired Sofa

Along with the house and all the projects that come with it, we also acquired a hideous sofa from the 1970s for our living room. The shape of it was great and the cushions were still in good condition. Not one to skip out on saving some money, or on a craft project, I volunteered to recover it. I love the look of Restoration Hardware’s furniture, so I used this sofa as my inspiration for the project
The sofa before. Check out that fabric!
A side view, with some lovely wicker type detail.
I started by choosing this great general home decor fabric from Joann’s. It was on sale at 40% off when we bought it and we got 9 yards (the whole bolt!)
I choose to white wash the frame, so that it would brighten up the piece, but still let the wood grain show through.. I mixed 1 part paint (which we already had) with 1 part water and lightly brushed it over the entire frame. Then I added foam to the curves in the top for a cleaner look to the lines of the furniture.
The frame after being white washed and foam added.
After the paint was dry, I ripped all the old upholstery off.  I layed out my new fabric over the frame and outlined the shape of it with chalk. I then cut it out and sewed it almost like a slip cover. It took a lot of running to the couch to drape and pin and then back to the sewing machine.
Then we took a staple gun and while Aaron pulled the fabric tight on one side, I attached the cover to the frame. I went with a hybrid slip cover/restaple method and it turned out pretty okay for my first reupholstery project. It’s a tad but ill-fitting in some of the tricky corners, but over all not bad. I think this may be because I chose to sew it as one piece instead of trying to thread the sides to the back and staple them separately from the middle.  
The hardest part was trying to sew the cushions. Those little corners on each of the side cushions made it very tricky to make it fit well. I actually had to redo the two outside cushions and go out and buy a little more fabric. So it took about 10.5 yards in total. 
Lastly, I made some biased tape out of the little bit of fabric I had left and made some piping to hide the staples and finish it off. 
All the wicker got covered by more fabric too
Leg detail as well. The white wash looks so nice up close!
Before:
After:
Inspiration:
The sofa that inspired this look cost well over $1000, however with the sale on fabric, we we’re able to do this sofa for about $110. Now that’s a bargain!
In addition to a new kitchen, a painted living room, and a fresh sofa, our electrician just finished a complete re-wire of our house to get all our outlets grounded/ three pronged and safe! No more extension cords running across all the rooms. Many more house remodels are in the works, which means many more posts.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Home Remodel- The Living Room

Since the kitchen is so lovely now, we’ve moved on to other projects already. No rest for us! The living room was a bland off-white color and we really wanted to warm it up with some paint. We chose this great beigeish- grey color to compliment the sofa I recovered (more on that later.)
Here is the living room before. Note the wonderful green carpet.
Here is the room after the paint and after we removed the carpet. There was beautiful hardwood underneath but we had to sweep and vacuum about 10 times to see it underneath the disintegrated carpet pad. It was a dusty mess for days! You can still see a fine layer of dust there.
I got some great curtains at Homegoods and a mirror for the mantle at Target to finish off the room. The room is not “done” because we’d like to add some more accessories and maybe a new chair to really finish it off, but it’s usable and a lot cozier than before. The half finished sofa pictured is a project for another post coming up soon.
In addition to all the work we’ve been doing, we’ve had an electrician in rewiring all the nob and tube and grounding all the outlets. It’s really starting to feel like home. 
A simple job of painting and carpet removal was a nice change in pace after the chaos of the kitchen. More renovations are to come!

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Kitchen Renovation- The Final Reveal

Let’s see, what’s happened since I last wrote? The floor arrived. We added a sub floor, installed the tile, and grouted it. The cabinet doors were finished, hardware put on, and they were installed. Paint was touched up, lights were put in. Baseboards were put down. Roller shades added to the windows. The kitchen is done and we love it so much. 
The final product! It’s hard to imagine what it looked like before. It now feels so big and functional. 
Some before and afters just to remind you how much we’ve changed:
The floors we chose were a vinyl tile (because we didn’t want to deal with the time/cost of a new sub floor) from home depot, and it’s groutable so it doesn’t feel like a “fake” floor. 
Here are links to my previous posts about the process of this renovation.
Overall, it took about three weeks to complete, minus the down time in between. We did most of the work on evenings and weekends. We couldn’t work more than a few days in a row because we would have lost our sanity, so there were a few break days in between. 
We are so proud of ourselves. We are proud we could do most of the work our selves, we are proud we could do it on a budget, and we are so happy to have a new space.
We have several more renovations left in this house. This was probably the hardest one. So look forward to those!