Monday, June 15, 2015

DIY Wedding Table Numbers- A Tutorial

Hard to believe our wedding is less than 4 months away! I really wasn't confident this project would turn out well. I was skeptical about how well the spray paint would work, but it did, and they turned out beautifully! Now I'm going to show you how to do it!

For this project you will need:

  • Picture frames. I bought most of mine from Marshalls. I also used an old frame I didn't want anymore as a tester. 
  • Painters Tape. This is only if your frames are tricky like mine and you can't get the glass out. 
  • Mirror Glass Spray Paint. I used Rustoleum "Mirror Effect" and it worked really well. I also tried just a silver spray paint because the caps on the cans look so similar. Don't be deceived, just regular metallic silver paint will not work. Get the mirror stuff.
  • Aluminum Foil. I'll get to this later.
  • White Craft Paint. 

Step 1

Carefully remove the glass from the frames and place on your painting surface. Don't cut yourself! This was honestly the hardest step because many of the frames had the glass glued in them. Aaron shattered one trying to get it out, so I just used painters tape to isolate the glass from the more difficult frames. 

Step 2
This was after 2 coats. You can already see the shine!

Spray a coat of mirror paint. A very, very, very, VERY light coat. You will not get a mirror effect if you spray on thick coats. I did this for a few of them and they just looked silver. Fortunately, the paint scrapes off of the glass very easily, so if you mess up and spray a layer too heavily, you can always start over!

Step 3
All painted and drying!

Spray 4 more of these light layers of paint. The can says "let dry 1 minute" in between coats, but it was rather humid out. Therefore, I waited about 4 minutes. You'll actually see the color of the paint change as it dries, so you'll know when it's time for a new layer. It never hurts to let it dry more! After the last coat, let the glass sit for about 30 minutes until it's completely dry. The side that wasn't sprayed painted on is actually the "front" and will show the best mirror effect. Remove any painters tape.

Step 4
Blurry stencil example, after I put it back in the frame

Stencil your numbers/lettering onto the glass. I used the Bombshell Pro font. To stencil, I held each piece of glass up to my computer screen and stenciled the number on the "front" side (the side I didn't spray on.) I used a thin, grey, washable marker to draw my numbers because it wipes off the glass easily and any left over marks will blend in with the glass. You can always print your stencil on paper and put it under your glass to stencil and you can use any type of writing utensil that you'll be able to see on your glass. Whatever works best for you!

Step 6

Paint your numbers on and let them dry! I used the can of white sample paint we got at the hardware store. Craft paint from the craft store works too. The paint is easily scraped off the glass, so just be careful after it dries.

Step 7

Cut a piece of aluminum foil to the size of your frame. Okay this is how to really get your mirror to reflect. Because the mirror spray paint doesn't make the glass completely opaque, the mirror effect shows through whatever is behind it. Most of my frames had a black velvet backing, which made the mirror look a little dark. I inserted a piece of foil, shiny side against the glass, between the backing and the glass and it really made the mirrors shine. It's a personal preference, but if you want the mirrors to look more reflective/silver, use that tip!

Step 8

Reassemble your frames! You're done!

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Butterick b5882

Some days, you just need to sew a dress...

About 8 months ago, my mom saw me admiring this fabric and bought me 2 yards "for a rainy day." I found a pattern I liked and then it just sat on my shelf as it kept getting moved to the bottom of the project list. That is until a few weeks ago, when we scheduled our engagement picture session. I knew I had to finish this dress to wear for those pictures.

Here's what the back looks like

Overall, this is one of the most professional looking projects I've ever completed and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm going to attribute it to the fact that I followed the pattern almost exactly, which is the opposite of my usual sewing strategy. Some of the directions weren't so clear, however this pattern was designed by Gertie over at Gertie's Blog for Better Sewing and she had a detailed post all about this dress that really helped fill in the blanks. 

Pretty pleats up-close

My only deviations from the pattern were not adding the "inside belt" and the choice not to put in a lining. Despite the fact the the fabric is mostly white, it really isn't see-through. A lining felt like an unnecessary step. Instead, I added a stabilization piece to the inside of the top. This also finished the top seam. 

A peek inside and a look at the stabilization piece I added in place of a lining.

Beautifully serged seams
When we get our engagement pictures, I will post a picture of me in the dress. I also wish you all could see me spin in this. The circle skirt twirl is seriously the best!

Updated (6/22/15)
We got our engagement pics! Huge thank you to All Heart Photo and Video for a fun day and some great pictures.
All Heart Photo and Video

All Heart Photo and Video

All Heart Photo and Video